Sunday, March 21, 2010

GNOME-based Help docs need help... [RESOLVED]


UPDATE @ Sun Mar 21 18:38:13 EDT 2010:

A cool person - alias "borschty" - on #gnome IRC gave me the fix for this one!  It's really too bad that it's not the default.. Oh well... THANKS boschty!


If you get annoyed by this too.. Here's the fix:

  $ gconftool-2 --set /apps/yelp/use_caret --type bool 0

-Joshua

(click for larger)

I'm really finicky... in that I like things to work as I'd expect them to work.. You probably are too, but you've no idea what to do about it... Here's an idea... COMPLAIN!

Case in point, when I'm doing the right thing and reading the manual (yeah, yeah, I know) and I switch from the scroll-wheel to the cursor keys to move through it (because my index finger has gone numb), I expect to scroll down from where I am on the page.


I do NOT however expect to be transported to the top of the document, nor do I expect for a cursor bar to appear and begin lolly-gagging its way down the doc.

I see no reason for a cursor to appear at all. A help "book" being a read-only document (from the F1 key [or whatever]), don't give me a cursor; that suggests I am being prompted to type -- AND I'M NOT!

Here's a thought... Make it work like a web browser (no, not lynx!)....

Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment